Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Picking Up a Dropped Stitch

I haven't blogged for a few weeks, so this will be a quick recap of what we've been doing.

A few weeks ago, Emily was sick so I was left to lead the group, which isn't a great idea because I have to leave early for my dual enrollment class, so I ended up leaving Ben in charge after I left because he is there every week and knows what is going on. We didn't start any new projects that week. I was feverishly working away at a blanket that I needed to finish before my sister's birthday and everyone else had some project or other to work on. We actually had a few newcomers: Clinton, Sarah, and Shmoo. Overall, it was a pretty good week.

I don't really remember much from a couple weeks ago. I do know that we started on a baby blanket made out of hexagons. A few people each took a color and instructions so they could make the required number of hexagons. We collected those last week and I took some to sew together and Emily took the rest. We had the blanket about half finished for this week's meeting. It still has a bit to be done, though.

Yesterday's meeting was really fun. As I said, Emily and I worked on the baby blanket, but Eva brought a whole bunch of knitting and crocheting books for people to borrow. Miriam was still working on a scarf, Ben was trying to finish a blanket his mom made, and Ian decided to try crocheting because of his sad attempts at knitting, so Ben tried showing him some of the basics. I actually got to stay for the whole thing because my German class is finally over. I think it was an overall good meeting. Having all the books to look at for instructions and ideas will be great and Eva is awesome for thinking to bring them.

Next week we plan to hand out Giraffe patterns.  Everyone will make their own giraffe in different colors and we'll give them to Mrs. Spycher as a thank you present for supervising us and letting us use her room. I also want to make a few thank you cards for the people who donated yarn. Sadly, the year is winding down so we can't do many more projects. Emily and I really want to do something for the school that will stay, but what can you make out of yarn to put up in a school? We really have no idea.

(P.S.: A dropped stitch is when you miss a stitch and end up with a hole in your project. Picking it up is when you fix it by somehow making the loops and adding them back onto the needle or hook. The dropped stitch was a reference to the week Emily was gone and picking it up is that I no longer have to leave the meetings early.)

No comments:

Post a Comment