Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Turning

Our last meeting went quite well. We had a couple of new people, Kat and Kaylee (not sure if I spelled that right). Kat already knew knitting so she decided to try crochet, which she seemed to be picking up pretty quickly. I worked on teaching Kaylee and Ian knitting (again). Ian finally seems to be getting somewhere. Yay!! I think part of his earlier failure was my fault. It's hard teaching something that I learned by watching rather than being taught myself. There are certain things I do instinctively but that aren't obvious when learning, like the positions of certain elements, like the worked stitches and the tail. I'm trying to remember and stress these things now that I've realized I was neglecting them before. It's fun actually feeling like I'm doing something beneficial for someone else. I am proud of Ian because even though he hasn't had much luck yet, he hasn't given up. He continues to try and is finally succeeding. :D

I collected e-mails yesterday so I can create a googledoc with giraffe patterns. I'm going to try and provide both knitting and crocheting patterns for anyone who wants to try and make one. The only sad thing is that I have only found knit giraffe patterns using double pointed needles. I don't know how hard it is to work with them because I haven't tried them myself yet, but I'm not sure how our beginning knitters will do if they decide to try making one. I guess you never know until you try.

(P. S.: Turning is a term used in crocheting when you finish a line. You normally chain a few stitches, turn the work, and start the new row. I though this would be appropriate because of Ian's progress. He has reached a turning point and is finally getting the hang of knitting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment